16.a.1 Number of Cases Settled by the Lupong Tagapamayapa
BAGUIO DATA SOURCE: Department of Interior Local Government (DILG)
The Katarungang Pambarangay is a system for amicable settlement of disputes at the barangay. It is an out-of-court resolution of conflicts by the community members themselves under the guidance of the punong barangay and without intervention of legal counsels and representatives. Almost all civil disputes and every criminal offense punishable by imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine not exceeding P5,000.00 are subject to amicable settlement under the KP when parties involved are individuals who are residing in the same city or municipality.
Sec 408 of the LGC enumerates the instance that is not subject to amicable settlement:
1. Where one party is the government or any subdivision or instrumentality thereof
2. Where one party is a public officer or employee and the dispute relates to the per
3. Offenses punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year or a fine P5,000.00
4. Offenses where no private party or individual is offended (like traffic violations, jaywalking, vagrancy, sidewalk vending, mendicancy, and prostitution)
5. Where the dispute involves real properties located in different cities or municipalities, unless the parties thereto agree to submit their differences to amicable settlement by an appropriate lupon.
6. Disputes involving parties who actually reside in barangays of different cities or municipalities, except where such barangay units adjoin each other and the parties thereto agree to submit their differences to amicable settlement by the appropriate lupon
7. Such other classes of disputes which the President of the Philippines may determine in the interest of justice or upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Justice
Total Number of Cases Settled
16.a.1 Number of Cases Settled by the Lupong Tagapamayapa in the Sustainable Development Goals
Click on the SDG to reveal more information
16. Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
Goal 16 of the Sustainable Development Goals is dedicated to the promotion of peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, the provision of access to justice for all, and building effective, accountable institutions at all levels.
Related 16.a.1 Number of Cases Settled by the Lupong Tagapamayapa Targets
Strengthen relevant national institutions, including through international cooperation, for building capacity at all levels, in particular in developing countries, to prevent violence and combat terrorism and crime